Assistant Principal - Alternative Program
Teachers, Administrators, Superintendents
Location: Division Office
Competition #: 12930
Open To: All whom apply
Date Posted: February 4th, 2021
Closing Date: March 1st, 2021 - 12:00pm
Internal and External Applicants
Battle River School Division is seeking applications for the following position:
Assistant Principal - Alternative Program
There is a need for an Assistant Principal at BRSD’s Alternative Program School, beginning in March 2021. This school supports students from several different learning environments including online programming, At-Home Learning, Outreach Programming and Homeschool programs. This position will include teaching duties based on the qualifications of the successful candidate.
The assistant principal is responsible for supporting the principal with administering and supervising the total school programming by establishing high expectations for student achievement; building a positive school climate that supports the whole student; leveraging research and data to drive initiatives and instruction; and building and developing a high-performing staff and leadership team to achieve the school's vision and goals. The assistant principal will support the principal in virtual collaborative partnerships with parents, community members, consultants, as well as, other internal/external resources and stakeholders to implement educational programs, capital improvements, systems reform, tools and other resources to accelerate student achievement.
April - July 2021
- Planning for expansion of the Home Education and At-Home Learning programs to provide more varied and deeper learning experiences for students, including a bank of paper resources
- Support Principal in planning for the amalgamation of Camrose Outreach and Battle River Online programs
- Work with Director of Learning - Patrick Whittleton to provide professional learning to 2021-22 teaching staff around best practices in blended learning through Jigsaw Learning
- Instructional leadership support for ECS - Grade 9 At-Home Learning
- Shared leadership of July 2021 summer programs (summer school, Reading University)
- Work to seek information from parents/students on programming that would attract them back/to the school division
- Explore the availability of a virtual Christian program
- Create and maintain an alternative programs webpage
Other duties (Fall 2021 onward)
- Instructional leadership for all alternative programs
- Responsibility for Home Education and At-Home Learning
- Planning and implementation of summer programming
- Locates students who have dropped out of school/moved to AHL and engages them in an educational program.
- Works with school principals and assistant principals to assure smooth transitions between schools and alternative programs.
- Promotes community engagement, communication and partnership opportunities/Maintains continuous two-way communications with parents and community groups to ensure a better understanding of school programs, activities, goals, objectives, and school and community needs and desires
- Work collaboratively with school principal to ensure the CR process is deepened and used as a tool to support successful student and teacher learning
- Maintain alternative programming webpage
- Will assume teaching duties within their areas of expertise. FTE to be determined once enrollment numbers are determined.
The successful candidate will have:
- Minimum of five years of successful teaching experience;
- Demonstrated knowledge of curriculum and assessment;
- Proven instructional leadership skills, including exemplary interpersonal skills;
- Familiarity with current trends, initiatives and directions relating to curriculum, technologies, learning styles, high school redesign/flexibility and student assessment;
- Successful utilization of technology in the classroom/online setting;
- Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in written form;
- Ability to collaboratively solve problems through innovation and critical thinking;
- Ability to work effectively with students, parents, staff and community members; and
- A Master’s degree (or working towards completion of) in leadership or curriculum would be an asset.
For further information please contact :Shan Jorgenson-Adam, Assistant Superintendent - Learning at firstname.lastname@example.org or 780-672-6131
This posting will close on: Monday, March 1, 2021 at noon
We thank all interested applicants. Only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please email your application/resume to: email@example.com In the subject line indicate the position you are applying for: AP - Alternative Program 02-2021
Please visit our BRSD website – “Application Process” to print, complete, and scan these two documents to your portfolio:
- Records Disclosure
- Confidentiality Undertaking
- Cover letter
- Degree transcripts
- Reference letters
Successful candidates will be required to submit both:
- Criminal Records Check including the Vulnerable Sector (City police or RCMP) and an
- Intervention Record Check (Child and Family Services) to Human Resources Department within 30 days of hire date.