This Board Policy Handbook has been developed to highlight and support the very important governance function of the Board.
In addition to clearly defining the role of the Board, the role of the Superintendent and the delegation of authority from the Board to the Superintendent, it includes the following as policies:
- Foundational statements which provide guidance and direction for all activities within the Division;
- Directions for how the Board itself is to function and how individual trustees are to conduct
themselves; how Board committees and representatives are to function;
- Statements as to how appeals and hearings will be conducted;
- Non-delegable matters such as school closures and policy-making; and
- Specific matters which the Board has chosen not to delegate to the Superintendent.
This Board Policy Handbook is intended to be supplemented by an Administrative Procedures Manual; the primary written document by which the Superintendent directs staff. The Manual must be entirely consistent with this Handbook.
The development of two separate and distinct documents is meant to reinforce the
distinction in this Division between the Board’s responsibility
Policy 4 Role Of The Trustee
Policy 4 Appendix A, Board Meeting Etiquette
Policy 5 Trustee Code Of Conduct
Policy 5 Appendix A, Trustee Code Of Conduct Sanctions
Policy 5 Appendix B, Trustee Code Of Conduct Complaints